The Vacation

We've been away for longer than I'd like to think about. But, coming home, everything was just as we left it. After we bumped the thermostat up, home was a cozy place to be, indeed. That's not to say that the vacation wasn't wonderful, either. It was especially nice to be away from DSL and the blog. After New Daddy started getting better from the rotten sinus infection, he insisted that we needed more sleep. I came to realize that rest, among other things, was a lot more important than this little ol' blog.

There were many memorable things that happened to us during last week's beach vacation.

We took Precious to a Japanese steakhouse for her birthday. They sang in Japanese, beat a gong, took an adorable Polaroid picture, and presented her with a yummy almond cheesecake. Here's a picture of Cousin K scraping food off the table after she had already wolfed down every particle of Japanese cuisine made available to her.

New Daddy went shark fishing in his kayak again. He was okay with the rolling sea until he pulled the 3-foot shark in. Looking down made him lose his breakfast three times before he made it back to shore. However, when he did make it back, an amazing science lesson awaited us. As it turned out, it was a mother-to-be. I almost cried when he showed me the first baby. It was attached to the placenta and was still moving. There were six babies total. The kids were fascinated and Uncle B almost lost his breakfast during the dissection. The meat was tasty, and not fishy at all. New Daddy couldn't get over all of the abdominal distress the shark had already caused him, so I think the meal was lost on him.

We had one last hurrah at the beach on Sunday, our warmest day. We pulled our shoes off and waded in the frigid ocean. Cousins Z and E ran from the waves, giddy from the cold and the excitement. Wading was quite therapeutic, in a most stimulating way. Then suddenly, my mommy-instinct became foremost when Precious fell down in the water. I splashed over to her and pulled her up out of the water just as another wave was folding over her head. I can't recall what made me run to her, or even begin to think about what could have happened. I only know that I am grateful that I was there when I was.

We took her to the outside shower to get her warm and wash the salt off. In my absolute focus on her and the Event, I didn't realize that I was still barefoot. It wasn't until New Years Eve that I realized that my shoes were missing. New Daddy and I were on the back porch watching fireworks. As I glanced at the beach, I saw the Event unfold, and I realized that I had left my shoes and socks on a rock on the beach. There had been a couple of high tides since then, and we knew that the chance of finding the shoes was slim.

It was 8:30 PM, and we couldn't find a flashlight. Poppy produced one in his car emergency kit, and we headed to the beach. After a few minutes, we found the shoes and one sock. They were completely soaked, and the left shoe was filled with sand. I cannot understand what kept them from washing to sea. Apparently, the sock that wasn't inside a shoe did just that. New Daddy rinsed the shoes for me, and we put them on his boot dryer when we got home.

God has been so good to us. We had a wonderful visit with our family and a relaxing, yet fun vacation. God kept our daughter, He let me find my shoes, and He brought us home safely. I am very, very thankful.

Comments

Bob B said…
Fun times indeed!

Also funny that Ben's last blog post was about shark fishing, almost a year ago: http://fishingdisasters.blogspot.com/

:-)