A bloggable evening

First, I will share a photo:


Just be glad that's all you see. This afternoon, I was trying to pop the stem off an orange with a too-sharp knife, when it slipped and gouged half an inch into the dip between my left thumb and index finger. Thank goodness the children were down for their naps when it happened. I called outside to where New Daddy was working, and he rushed in to get me bandaged up.


New Daddy is ever the resourceful one, always someone you'd want to have around in a disaster. My brain was so muddled, I couldn't remember where the gauze was, if we even had any. He discovered that a cotton ball with cheesecloth wrapped around it was a great substitute for gauze. We're going to take the wait-and-see approach to whether I need stitches or not. Right now, the wound is about a centimeter long. It makes me feel woozy to look at it.

Today, I had a trip to Sam's on my to-do list. So, despite my mishap and its accompanying pain, I decided to go ahead. It took me twice as long to do everything since my brain has been a little foggy ever since, and it's difficult to do everything with only one hand. Thus, we got on the road around 5:45 PM. I knew this trip would overlap into supper prep, and I wasn't too keen on cooking with only one hand, anyway. So, we planned to order takeout from Longhorn.

After I placed the photo order at Sam's and finished shopping, I went to Longhorn and placed our takeout order around 7:00. Then, I went back to Sam's to pick up our Christmas cards. It took forever-- not Sam's fault, I must add. When I finally got back to Longhorn, I locked the van and went inside to pick up our order. By the time I got to the bar, I was pretty sure that I had left the keys in the floor of the car while I was getting the children out. A thorough search of my purse while we waited for our food confirmed this.

I checked my cell phone. Dead.

I found my AAA card. (Thanks for the AAA membership, Mark and Kaye!) The bartender loaned me his cell phone, and I made the call at 8:00. The AAA person told me that someone would be there within an hour. Then, I called New Daddy to tell him I would be home around 9:00. The AAA guy showed up early at 8:30, retrieved my keys, and we were on our way home shortly! Our very overtired children finally went to bed around 9:45.

I think I'll go to bed, too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh no! What a horrible day!
I am so sorry, Sharon
Love,
Mimi
Anna May said…
wow...what a day. Take today off and do absolutly nothing to make up for it. LOL. Hope your hand gets to feeling better soon and that you dont need stitches.
Bro Trevor said…
Ooooh... what a no fun day.

Will keep your hand healing in prayer.
Anonymous said…
Hey, I'm sorry you had to use your AAA, but I'm glad it was there for you! Isn't it just the coolest?