Vacation alone!

Last Wednesday, we left the children with my mom, and New Daddy and I struck out on our own. It was our first solo trip since before Precious was born. We had reserved a couple of nights at a mountain bed and breakfast and were resolved to do only what we felt like doing. We'd eat when we wanted to, sleep when we wanted to (hopefully a lot), hike trails that we couldn't hike with children, and read lots of books.

As it turned out, we did make a couple of short hikes-- Minnehaha Falls and the Tallulah Gorge State Park, and we took a luxuriously long nap while it rained Thursday afternoon. We spent way too much money on meals, but they were all nice experiences. Eating out seems to add up just as you're realizing how much money you save by eating at home most of the time. And I only read one short story while New Daddy studied SharePoint. The rest of my reading was mostly maps, trying to figure out where we should be going, and how.

On our way to my parents' Friday morning, we visited the Foxfire museum, which should be at the top of every homeschooler's list of Great Field Trips. I can't wait until Precious and Bubby are old enough to enjoy it with us. We picked up a couple of books on edible wild plants and medicinal herbs and stopped by The Village Weaver to watch Sharon Grist do what she loves doing. She is amazing.

All in all, it was a really nice trip. I still think I could have used more sleep, though! I need to address that at home if I'm going to make any progress there. I could start by getting off the computer...

Comments