A gift, indeed

We feel very loved right now. After commenting on my blog that I should get a AAA membership, Aunt Kaye went out and bought us a membership for my birthday! The day after she gave it to us, we almost needed it! Here's what happened.

Yesterday, we had a lunch picnic with my family at the SC Botanical Gardens. Then, we milled around for a little while and took a family picture for Poppy. As soon as Aunt M shares them, I'll share them, too! When it came time for us to drive back home, our car would not go into gear. We thought that it was a transmission problem. An old friend happened to walk past, and I asked him if he would help New Daddy push the car backwards while I put the car in gear. Nothing.

We thought about calling AAA, but when we called my dad back, he insisted on driving back out to the gardens to help us out. After checking the fuses, they realized that the brake lights weren't working, and the characteristic "click" that happens when you depress the brake pedal wasn't happening. Thus, they made a trip to auto parts store for a brake switch. The store didn't have the switch, but they did have a meter. As soon as the guys started probing at the fuses with the meter, the brake switch started working again.

We were pretty tired, and had planned to go home after the morning church service at The Tabernacle of the Lord. The brake switch decided to start working at exactly 5:45, fifteen minutes before the evening church service started. We decided to go on to church instead of heading home.

Well, were we ever rewarded for that.

As usual, the preaching was sublime, but after it, the Holy Spirit fell in so many ways, I can't even describe how wonderful it was. There were tongues, interpretation, people filled with the Holy Ghost, and everyone getting blessed in their own way. I wouldn't have wanted to miss that service for anything, and I think God didn't want us too, either. I'm just thankful that He loved us enough to let our car break down just long enough to make us stay over for the service.

Last week, I had let down in my prayer life, and by the weekend, I was a mess. I needed that service. Isn't it amazing how God gives us exactly what we need when we deserve it the least? A gift, it is.

The dealer has the part in stock, it's not expensive, and I'm going to get it in a few minutes.


A little nugget, of very many, from the sermon:
"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

You work for wages, and what do you earn? Death.

You accept God's gift-- none of your own works involved-- and what do you receive? Eternal life.

Isn't that beautiful?

Comments

Bro Trevor said…
Great post!!!

Full and Free salvation...that's been on my heart for about a week now!!