February 3rd, 2002

This post is taken from my diary entry the day after New Daddy and I were engaged, five years ago.

God has given me a man who fulfills every desire I have for a man. And God has given New Daddy everything he desires in a woman—in me.

When New Daddy was 10 or so, his family went to a ruby mine in North Carolina. He sifted through his bucket of dirt, and he found an opaque ruby. He had this ruby tumbled and polished, and he thought that someday, he would give this ruby to the woman he loved.

When New Daddy had first mentioned giving me the ruby for an engagement ring a while back, I told him, “Honey, you can give me a ruby; just don’t pretend it’s an engagement ring.” Nice, vain little gal, wasn’t I?

Last Friday night, I talked to my mother. We were trying to plan for a wedding that couldn’t be planned unless I was committed to marry this man, and he hadn’t proposed yet! So we were talking, and Mom stated that it would be much more meaningful for me to have the ruby that has sentimental value, instead of a diamond like everybody else. That hit home for me.

I had been asking God to help me with this silly, vain complex. After all, I didn’t really feel like I needed the diamond. But, I felt like if New Daddy got me anything, I wanted it to be nice. Then, I realized somehow, that it would be wonderful to have a ruby mounted with some diamonds, maybe with a scripture inscribed on the inside. Something that really meant something and represented us.

I told New Daddy all of this on Saturday, and it made him so happy! I asked him to tell me the story of when he got the ruby again. He did, dutifully. Then, I told him what Mama had said, but they were my words and thoughts now.

Yesterday, coming home from church, New Daddy suddenly veered onto the southbound entrance ramp of the interstate. “Do you mind?” he asked.

“Well, it’s your truck, and I’m in it, and that’s fine!” I replied. A little further down the interstate, he told me he was going to propose to me. (He had already told my dad what was going on, and my dad told the family that we were "otherwise engaged." Can you believe that no one got it?)

We went to a nearby state park, pulled into a campsite, and sat at a picnic table. I didn’t think he had a ring. (Even after the fake proposal last Sunday when he got all inspired—and then let me down with “Honey, I love you, but I just can’t ask you to marry me without a ring.”)

So… he said “Will you marry me?”

I said, “Yes, I’ll marry you.”

Then, he slid the ring box from behind me on the table into my view. Talk about shock!! We talked for a few moments, and he told me that the ring represents my worth to him, etc. And then, he opened the box.

“Honey, it’s beautiful!” I said as I beheld his ruby. And I pulled it out. Except, there was a string knotted to the ring. I tried to untie it, thinking it was a price tag or something.

“Baby, why don’t you just pull the whole thing out,” he said. So, I did. And on the other side of the foam was an engagement ring tied to the ruby ring. A beautiful engagement ring.

I’m so glad New Daddy gave the ruby to the woman he loves. And, I’m glad the woman he loves got past her pride and vanity to appreciate the true gift. But, I’m also impressed and very pleased with the diamond! It does represent my worth to him, but it is a symbol. If there were no reality to the symbol, it would be worthless. If I hadn’t gotten over myself, I wouldn’t have had the character to deserve a diamond. But I am so thankful for all of my blessings, and the grace God has given me to let me grow.

P.S. Right before we left the campsite, New Daddy checked the number. It was number 5, for grace. We were engaged on February 3rd (2 + 3 = 5). Thank God for His grace in our lives.

Comments

Anonymous said…
God bless you and happy anniversary! what a lovely story! he sounds like a "gem" to me, haha.
jennifer
Anonymous said…
I love the story of how Ben asked you to marry him and about the ring.

~Stephanie~
Bro Trevor said…
*sniff sniff*

What a happy lil post!!!


(and I really mean that)
Anonymous said…
Aww. That's precious! Thanks for sharing your love story with us. I throughly enjoyed it. :-)
Anonymous said…
That was beautiful!

God bless you