Teething already?

I can't believe it, but it looks like Bubby has been trying to cut a tooth in for the past week. At first, I thought he had gotten The Fever from Precious. Then, I noticed him sucking on his gums and drooling. It finally took Aunt Mo's diagnosis on Thursday for me to realize what was really going on. Nothing has broken through yet, but I'll probably blog when it happens.

Bubby is also sitting up by himself on his potty now. It seems to have just the right support to enable a child to sit comfortably, even if they're not sitting up by themselves yet. Of course, my arms are still hovering nearby while he's on the potty!

I'm noticing a pattern of our awareness when we're home vs. when we're out. When we're away from home, and I'm not distracted by housework and all of the things that must be done at home, I am much more attuned to Bubby's needs. For example, he went through only six diapers during our overnight trip to Hiawassee. I'm wondering if the different surroundings also make Bubby a little more uncomfortable with using his diaper.

For example, there were two times yesterday when Bubby was fussy for at least five minutes before we let him go. He actually held it inside, and as soon as he was cued over the potty, he went. The first time, I was eating lunch, and I wanted to finish, since I had already been highly distracted by Precious peeing in the seat (!). Then, during the afternoon service, Bubby got fussy while I was pottying Precious. Several minutes later, New Daddy realized that Bubby probably needed to go. As soon as New Daddy put him on the potty, Bubby gave New Daddy the "goofy grin" while he peed. The grin totally made New Daddy's day :P.

Bubby is very clear with his needs. If he doesn't need to go, he'll fuss and squirm when he gets on the potty. If he does need to go, he immediately relaxes and gets down to business. The emphasis is that this is not old-fashioned potty training where a child is made to sit until something happens. It is just us poor human parents trying-- often by trial and error-- to meet our child's needs. I think I'm finally over the "wow-ness" of catching pees and poops. And... life continues.

Comments