RSV, my foot

This post is a gripe for all of the too-modern-for-the-KJV card manufacturers...

At the beginning of the year, I bought my Christmas cards on clearance, as usual. For a change, I decided to buy cards that emphasized Jesus' birth. I used to avoid this issue and buy "holiday" cards, because I know that lambs are born in the Spring, and so was the Lamb of God. But then, I decided that even if it was a holiday with pagan origins, at least there was a time set aside to observe Jesus' birth. So, I found some cards with a pretty manger scene and a scripture on the inside and quickly purchased them.

I pulled out the cards the other day, and I took a look at the scripture. It is from the "Revised Standard Version" of the Bible. And John 3:16a reads like this: "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son."

Whooops.

Thus, I am going through all of our cards and adding the Old English, yet tried and ever true word, "begotten."

Comments

Anonymous said…
That same thing bothers me also. Pretty things with incorrect scriptures= no purchase. Argh!

Very funny that you're inserting the correct word. Some folks wouldn't have bothered, but a Word-believing person would. :-D
Anonymous said…
This too is an issue that plagues me. I hesitate before even buying coloring books for my kids unless I take time to flip to the title page and see which version of the Bible the verses are taken from. And then trying to explain to Michaela that I can't buy the book because the Bible verses in it aren't correct...
Anonymous said…
I did the same thing, Sharon!

I bought cards without checking the version... turns out they are NIV.

Their translation is nice, but it's not right.

I still really like the cards, tho, so I hope no one gets offended if I send them out!