A Christmas memory

I was telling New Daddy the other day how much I enjoyed a certain Christmas routine with my dad's parents. The local university in my grandparents' town (also the university my grandad retired from) has an orchestra. Every Christmas, they had a Handel's Messiah community sing-along. When we were in high school, we went to this with my grandparents. Onstage, they had the full orchestra, the university choral group to help the audience, and soloists.

After the concert, we went back to my grandparents' house and trimmed the tree and sipped hot chocolate. I remember Aunt Ma rolling French ribbon around her arm to make cascading curls down the tree. It was georgeous, and a treat for us to get to decorate a tree, since we didn't grow up doing it ourselves. I can imagine if I was aging gracefully into my late seventies, it would be quite nice to let my high school-aged grandkids decorate my tree for me. And we were young, ambitious, creative tree trimmers, too! What a perfect fit, and what a wonderful memory.

Today at the mall, I bought Handel's Messiah, and now that we've listened to it once already (complete with the Precious sing-along), it feels like Christmas around here! What a great soundtrack for wrapping gifts.

Comments

Marie said…
Lol-- I agree. Handel's Messiah is one of those things that will get me into a Christmas-y mood right now.. though I'm really more in a "Brahm's Requiem" mood...

Now that the cookie baking forray is over, I can start to think about presents. Tomorrow's a shopping day--long after your's is done, I'm sure! --Lol--we'll see how it goes...

My memory of the Messiah Sing-Along aren't nearly as clear as yours--thanks for reminding me!

Love to you and yours...