I need planting ideas!

For plants that do well in rocky soils and along walls. I need Zone 7b (we're right on the edge between 7a and 7b) perennials that like sun/shade. The area gets about five hours of solid sunshine from 11-4 before the privet and other trees shade the area. Thank goodness our yard is slightly more organic than Georgia clay, so I won't be needing as many amendments!

I need lower plants (6-8 inches tall) for the edges of the walls, some mid-sized plants for the middle (8-16 inches tall), and I've already started a hydrangea for the upper lever. I'm going for a tiered look coming up from the wall. I'd also like to put some small, creeping, rock-loving plants in the steps to soften the look. I'm also considering putting in a bed below the wall with some plantings to soften that edge.

Remember that I have a black thumb, and I need survivor-plants! I really like variegated plants and violet-hued blooms. Think liriope and lavender! I'm also wondering if I can work some herbs in, since I love to cook with fresh herbs. I'm also going to look for the Southern Gardener's Book of Lists at my local library (or borrow it from my mom).

And now, the pictures~

Facing south-- The Man and His Work [of two years]
We're going to put two landscape lights on the sides of the top step and two on the bottom step (no landing strips!). We'll also fill the steps with tan/brown pea gravel. We'd need plants around the lights to soften them, too. I'm wondering about creeping phlox?

Facing southeast-- Mommy and toddler-- the other side of the steps
This is the longer wall, and it curves out before it joins the slope. A majority of the plantings will be along this wall, and possibly below it. (I was hoping I'd at least look 21 weeks pregnant here, but no hope for a front-facing photo!)


Yay! I hear a thunderstorm brewing outside! We need rain to settle the dirt so that we can start planting. New Daddy was so thankful for the sunny days while he was off!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The best advice that I can give you is to read, read, read. Get on-line and find what will grow there. I LOVE to ride around and look at other peoples' yards to see what I like and get ideas on what will look good together--when you finally get the finished product! Also, I love to go to a nursury or Lowe's and just look around, read the little tags-they will tell you what environment is best.
The main thing is DON'T GET IN A HURRY!!! If you just need to do something go ahead & mulch the whole area and get it prepared to plant. Then when you are ready to start, do it a little at a time. You will enjoy it more and it will be much easier on your back!! You might start to look forward to working out there-It's a break away from housework & Renee will love it!!
Good Luck!
New Mommy said…
Thanks for the great advice! I was beginning to wonder if all three people who read my blog had black thumbs, like myself ;).