Afternoon at the nursing home

Right now New Daddy is in the basement cutting off the backside of his kayak to send back to the dealer so they can send it to the manufacturer. The dealer is shipping a new kayak to him tomorrow. Check his blog for the events preceding this...

I thought Precious was down from two naps to one, long afternoon nap. Well, today's schedule debunked that! I put her down around noon, and then konked out myself. When I awoke 45 minutes later, lo, what do I hear, but a toddler talking to herself?! I let her talk for another 45 minutes in hopes that she would sleep, and so I could finish waking up. But, after that, she was still awake, and I went to get her. At least I got a nap, because I was the one who would be needing it...

After she "woke up," we headed to town, where I ran some errands on the way to the nursing home. I showed up a few minutes late, so I went straight to the activity room, where Ruthi had set me up to play "Name That Tune" on violin, and then a little piano. The folks there were great sports for it. The ones who couldn't name tunes seemed to enjoy the tunes, nevertheless.

Precious totally stole the show, which is why I love having her around. She danced and clapped for the fast tunes, and wallowed around my legs and waved at people for the slow tunes. There was a larger crowd at first, and she stayed within a five-foot radius of Mommy. Then, as the crowd got smaller, she began to walk around to visit a little.

I think it is a valuable skill for children to be able to relate to elderly people. I didn't learn this skill until my teenage years, and I think earlier exposure would have helped me to be more comfortable. As it is now, I love old folks, and I want my children to feel the same way and be even more comfortable than I was.

I ended up on the piano, and folks lingered. I stopped at 5:00, scooped up my tired baby, who had learned how to shake hands (!), and we headed home. It was a great way to spend the afternoon.

Comments