Cinnamon Ice Cream

I am such a cinnamon fanatic. I adapted this recipe from Kids Magazine. It was originally for peppermint ice cream, and it called for a quart and a half of ice cream. I scaled things down to 2 cups of ice cream. Also made cinnamon sugar cookies for cinnamon ice cream sandwiches.

2 cups natural vanilla bean ice cream
5 cinnamon candy canes
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cinnamon extract

Coarsely crush candy canes and Red Hots in a sturdy bag. Mix candy with ice cream. Stir in ground cinnamon and cinnamon extract. Freeze overnight.

Comments

New Mommy said…
It turns out, after a few days, the smaller pieces of candy turn gooey and make the ice cream gooey, too. Unless you're into pure, gooey sugar, I'd recommend going easy on the candy canes and red hots.

Maybe just some extract with ground cinnamon would do the trick. I like zingy cinnamon, not the cozy, warm kind, like the cookie-dough-remake cinnamon ice cream (minus the clumps of dough) I had at Bruster's a few weeks ago.
New Mommy said…
Okay, scratch that :).

You definitely need the red hots if it's going to be spicy. Extract + cinnamon is not very exciting.