Mid-summer home projects

Last summer brought the room-changing fiasco that greeted me from my Florida trip with Aunt R. Bubby moved downstairs into the playroom that we had completed for our kids' 2013 Christmas present. So... it looked like a playroom! Since then, Bubby has been campaigning for a more teen-like space.

The photo I took of this room when I was looking at the house in January 2009.

Memory lane- aren't they so cute?! This was the new playroom in 2013. We had a wall framed above the concrete blocks (and closets framed, too), and we topped it with a shelf. I picked these colors in the store using sample cards, and I have no idea what they're called. It was fun to not really worry about the perfect shades, just pick something playful, and have it turn out great!

After a year of Bubby pestering us, I finally mustered the energy to tackle this project. It was pretty easy to find a go-to gray from Pinterest, etc. Sherwin Williams "Repose Gray" is a perfectly warm gray. When we went to find a color for the lower section, we used the paint visualizer and chose a 3-shades darker color from the same sample card as the top color. We ended up with Sherwin Williams "Acier" (French for "steel") in satin finish, and Bubby is thrilled. He also decluttered a lot with the help of Cousin S, so his room is really looking sharp. Eventually, we'll move Tater in here with Bubby so that Cutie can have her own room when she gets closer to her teens.

Bubby's "modern teen retreat"

It took three coats of ultra white trim paint to cover the green shelf! I also did the ultra-white on all of the caulked areas that I didn't have the energy to paint when I had four littles under the age of nine, and we were against a deadline. So the trim in this room is looking pretty snazzy, if I do say so myself . The whole project- prepping, filling, sanding, rolling, trimming... took me four days. And I spent the day after in zombie mode, recovering... two naps.

Earlier this summer, Precious installed her own luxury vinyl plank (LVP) flooring! Because she's over the garage, New Daddy bought her a cushy, insulating underlayment. It feels great underfoot. She is a big declutter-er, and her sparse room always makes me want to just plop down and take a nap! We're super-proud of her flooring skills!

Precious' beach-y retreat

Next on the downstairs bathroom... New Daddy is still working on that stock tank tub in the garage! Right now, it has drain/faucet holes, etching primer, and the next step is marine epoxy. In the actual bathroom, we brought in an electrician for the GFCI outlets, so those are complete.

Comments