Not quite the relaxing evening

Out of the two roosters that Honey our Silkie hen hatched out last fall, one has turned out to be a children-chaser/attacker.  He doesn't attack me, probably because I bring food, but only the children, who might be more bent towards taunting chickens.  I dunno.  Anyway, our new pullets, Production Reds, are two weeks old and in a month will need the tractor that the Silkies have been occupying.  It also so happened that he had the more obnoxious morning greeting of the two guys.  Tonight was the night that he met his fate.

While we were out back, we saw two heads peering at us from the deck above.  It was the girls, who had snuck out of bed and were curious.  Was that Silkie roo ever a tiny bird after he was plucked!  After I got him inside, the Mozart that I was playing down the hall to help the kids settle down (but wasn't helping) made everything feel a little boy-in-the-graveyard-whistling-ish.  Here I am, blood and guts, and the Andante movement of a symphony is the soundtrack.

Yeah, that was weird.

Comments