Emerging

I still smile when I think about our friend who sweetly mused, after I described to her all of the neat things I was doing with the infant Bubby: "It seems like you do everything in a way that makes things more difficult for you."  I smiled at her then, shrugged my shoulders, and doggedly kept on doing things the same way.  More difficult, perhaps?  I just don't see another way.  I can't look at a fussy infant, knowing that they need to poop, and leave them to fuss it out (or exhaust myself trying to comfort them) until their diaper fills.  To the potty we go, and everybody is happy, perhaps even the clock.

I know at some point in my life, I'll look back and realize that I've made it through this time-pinched stage of my life.  But right now, I feel completely swamped.  And it's not the putting the baby on the potty and keeping his diapers clean.  It's keeping up with the clutter of four kids and two girls who change outfits constantly.  I've completely delegated the responsibility of their laundry to them.  If they're going to wear it, they need to take care of it.  And the clothes that get shoved to the back of the closet, unhung and wrinkled, are now in the donation box.  It's a painful, but somewhat cleansing process.

And after I had written this segment, I dozed off and got plenty of sleep-- a rarity.  Continued the next day!

I am a bit of a random, free-spirit type (or is this my excuse for laziness?), and this mentality is preying on our schedule and ability to get things done.  I've realized that to school my children the way they deserve, I have to cut time on the computer to a bare minimum.  My new goal is breakfast by 8:00, and the other meals to follow suit.  This morning, we made it by 8:30, and lunch was staggered, but finished by 1:15.  I've started on dinner so that it doesn't catch me by surprise.   So, there are some things that are decreasing so that the other things can happen.  I think the blog has a good place in the importance of things, but other computer activities are going to be severely limited.

I think when Tater was born, I got into the I've got a newborn, laid-back way of thinking.  Even though he's seven months old, I'm just now starting to realize that I have to leave that attitude behind.  The older children aren't getting younger, and things have got to start happening around here.  The attitude of the household starts with me.  It's not easy, but what thing is easy that is worth doing?

Comments

Deborah R said…
I know what u mean about the clothes. I constantly moving clothes in and out of house. I have been thinking about homeschooling because junior high is coming up and that usually mean the time to dress out for PE but I would love to get my children in your sister's english class.