I am quite sure that I had no motive of impressing my gourmand-sister when I decided to make the yoghurt-herb bread from Nourishing Traditions. No, not at all. In fact, I was afraid that my milk was turning a little tangy too soon, so I made a mad dash for the yogurt maker. I ended up with half a gallon of yogurt. The recipe called for two cups of it. So, I ground the wheat and set it to soak with water and yogurt at 1:00 this morning.

This evening. The batter was delicious, which means that the product should be, too.

And, oh, my, was it good! I do think it's possibly the best bread I've ever eaten. Anything with three eggs and a third of a cup of maple syrup has to be headed for success. It seems to me that all of the recipes I've tried in NT have perfectly balanced flavors. Nothing overpowers, and everything settles wonderfully in my stomach. I love this kind of food. It's Real Food. Aunt M approved of the recipe, and will be buying her own copy of this gem of a cookbook shortly.

~And now, we interrupt this culinary post to bring you an update on the babies.

BUBBY has discovered that his broccoli is suddenly more edible when Mommy switches to the fun, colorful Ikea spoons! And he has completely debunked the fallacious theory that babies *have* to drink from sippy cups.

PRECIOUS. Oh dear, where do I begin? She leaves us in stitches, constantly. Today, as I was watching her be her wonderful self, it occured to me that she is a gift. Wherever we go, she makes people so happy to be around her-- well, most of the time. And we get to have her all the time! Being a mommy is the best thing ever.

Okay, I might as well say this. It was just too cute.

I was cooking dinner, and the kids were playing in Precious' room. I heard Bubby crying. I rushed to the room to find everything in a semblance of order; Bubby was fine, it seemed. I asked Precious why Bubby cried. "Because, um, I sthpanked him."

"Precious, are you supposed to spank Bubby?"

"Um, no."

"What do you think I should do?"

She replied very seriously, her voice trailing off at the end, "You should, um, sthpank me." (barely audible and so, so SWEET!!!)

*SQUEEZE*

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gourmand?

Bwahahah-- In my dreams!

But your bread was awesome... and yup, I'm about to expand my huge cookbook collection by one or more...
{sigh}

Precious does have a great way of making everyone happy! :)
Gotta love her.
Anonymous said…
That is sooo cute about Renee! What a sweetheart! I could hear her talking to Bob on the phone the other night and it was TOO CUTE!

I will have to try that bread recipe....have you tried the banana bread out of NT yet? I think that is the only recipe i've tried from that book, and since i did not like it....i didn't try any other.
New Mommy said…
I did NOT try the banana bread recipe, because you told me it was gross! lol :D
Anonymous said…
Haha! That's right! I did tell you that! It was gross, but I think I may try it again, believe it or not and just change a few things.
Anonymous said…
We miss sweet Precious and her Bubby and the other four grands!
Love!
Mimi