All about Bubby- 9 months

For about three months, now, Bubby has completely ditched his pacifier in favor of his left thumb. Sometimes, though, he reverts back to my upturned finger to satisfy his sucking need. I had given him a finger when he was a newborn, before I was ready to introduce a paccy to him. Even though he didn't have nipple confusion like Precious, he still developed the annoying "clicking" habit around two months, just as Precious had. So much for trying to avoid that! Though, I did find that his need for comfort through non-nutritive sucking was not nearly as great as Precious', probably because his needs were more fully met by getting to use the potty.

I digress.

I have always wondered why babies needle their curious fingers at our mouths when we cradle them in our arms. The other day, I decided to figure this out. While he was nursing, I let Bubby put his thumb in my mouth and I began sucking it. He grinned at me! Then, he withdrew his thumb with a "thop." Fascinated by the noise, he stuck his thumb in my mouth again. I sucked it, and he took it out. What a fun game! We kept it up for a while, at least until he was finished nursing. Now, he's trying it with everyone!

I've discovered a new bedtime routine for Bubby. The cuddling and rocking-thing just wasn't doing it for him. He would fuss and stew and bang his head on my chest. Last night, I decided to try his favorite form of exercise: bouncing. He started laughing and forgot that he was overtired and fussy. Right before I laid him down, I tossed him in the air three times, gave him a loud kiss on his cheek, slapped his back a few times, and put him in his crib. He complained for a few minutes-- much less than with the rocking, though. Then, he squawked for about fifteen more minutes before he went silent. Bingo!

Bubby took his first crawling "steps" today. He's been getting around pretty well by scooting and rolling, but today was the day that he moved his knees along the floor in the classic crawl. He still can't get away from the idea of having his feet flat on the floor while he's on his hands, though. I had thought he might walk before he turns a year old, but it looks like he'll follow the average progression of most infants towards mobility.

Since he figured out that rolling was an effective mode of transportation, Bubby has been rolling to his potty and reaching for it when he needs to use it! This has been going on for the past three weeks. At first, I thought it might have been a random event, but it has happened so many times that I think it must be a deliberate action. Babies are amazing.

Comments