Toofie numero deux-- and other random thoughts

Bubby's second tooth arrived on his bottom gum line yesterday morning. I sure hope this is it for a while! I will spare you of pictures, since the photo of his first tooth didn't really show it anyway. It was a nice display of a cute baby-mouth, though, wasn't it?

I'm learning that life is more surrendering to the Way Things Happen, rather than making things happen. We were supposed to have Bubby's six-month checkup this morning, but I had the wrong time in my head. We showed up 45 minutes late, and after waiting for another half-hour, they finally called me up to the desk and told me we would have to reschedule. So, his six-month checkup will happen when he's seven months! Then, on the way home, I tried to get a car wash, but the credit card reader wasn't working. So... I guess we were supposed to be at home this morning! I don't always see why things happen the way they do, but at least I do know that there's a purpose for them.

Precious has been engaging in the most fascinating pretend-play lately! This morning, she took the ear bud from the hands-free for the cell phone and listened to my heartbeat on my stomach! I feel so privileged to enjoy these snippets from her world.

She has also been experimenting with lisping. I've been wondering, "Who has been talking baby-talk to my girl?". To help her along, when she says a word with an "s" and substitutes the "th" sound, I ask her to repeat it correctly. Then, today, when I was reading to her from the KJV Bible, I realized that many of the verbs end in "th," and that got me wondering if that could be the origin of such a pronunciation experiment.

And... yet another sign that my little girl is growing up: she taught herself to hold her spoon correctly! For about a year now, it has been very apparent that she is right-handed. Still, I had never bothered to show her how to hold utensils like an adult. She seems to have picked it up from watching us, and I just noticed it today that I she has switched from the "club hold" to the more refined grip.

Bubby is standing well enough that I can prop him on something and have my hands free. I still stay next to him, because he topples over easily. He has started getting his legs under himself and trying to propel himself when he's on his tummy, but he isn't on all fours or pulling up yet. I'm a little relieved, because I still need to re-babyproof the house.

Comments