How's baby sleeping?

This is a book review that I wrote for a Mom-blogging application.

When Precious was born, she nursed several times a night and slept in bed with me or in the bassinet next to the bed. I slept very well with her, and thankfully, the one time I almost rolled on her, she cried out, and I came to my senses. After that, I was a lot more aware of her in my sleep, and I also tried to put her in the bassinet before I nodded off again.

With Precious, I had started out with an attachment-parenting approach to sleep. At around six months, Precious started nighttime acrobatics that kept me awake. That was too much; I needed my sleep. So, I went out and grabbed a book my cousin recommended to me: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth. This book gave me the confidence to let her cry a little and learn to fall asleep on her own. (I had already started letting her nap in her crib, so that was less of a transition.) I am convinced that her present healthy sleep habits are a direct result of implementing Dr. Weissbluth's strategies.

Precious is the most cheerful baby a lot of people have seen. Dr. Weissbluth makes the point that the reason a lot of children seem to be anxious and "wired" is probably because they are overtired. By making sure that Precious gets all of her naps when she needs them, she is always rested and her best self. Sure, there are times when she isn't able to nap, but when we go back to our normal routine, she quickly catches up on her sleep with longer naps.

This book is awesome. It deals with a variety of sleep problems and has lots of testimonials from parents who have successfully implemented Dr. Weissbluth's principles. It's a must-read for first-timers-- like myself! Now, if Sis. Kara will give me back my copy that she's had for the past three months! :P

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the recommendations on wedding songs. I love "How Beautiful" & the other I've never heard of. Hmmm...we'll decide pretty soon as their wedding is coming up! :-)

I didn't know you were expecting! I'm just a few weeks behind you :-)
How exciting! (I'm at 21 weeks) Are you showing very much yet? Me-hardly any. But I'm sure it will come soon enough. I have a little "kicker" (started about wk. 16) How about you?

I really enjoyed your post about "potty-training"...so cute!

I'll have to check out that book you were recommending. Thanks. God bless you. -Sis. Samantha
New Mommy said…
Sis. Sam!!! Thanks for stopping by! (Y'all can read her blog here.)

I think I'm showing a lot, and I've gotten bigger a lot sooner than with my first pregnancy. I think I wore maternity clothes for maybe 2 weeks before Renee was born.

Yes, Lucas is a kicker! (noticed you didn't give the gender for yours... ;) still keeping it secret, eh? :) :) lol

About the other song, the lyrics are
"This is the day that the Lord has made,
And I'm so glad He made you.
With each rising sun you are here by my side.
You are more than a dream come true..."


I'm really hoping Aly and Marie want to meet you in Atlanta, so I can meet you, too!

God bless you!