A bedtime routine that works!

Since I gave up the pacifier for Precious, we have been listening to her sad wails of lonesomeness for at least five minutes before she settles down for each nap. This was until yesterday, when I discovered a wonderful routine. I started reading to her from the King James Bible for about fifteen minutes while rocking her. By the time the fifteen minutes is up, she is completely relaxed, and lays down with just a few whimpers that quickly disappear.

I started with the annointing of David yesterday morning, and read her the Baptism of the Holy Ghost in Acts yesterday afternoon. This morning, I read her David and Goliath, and for the afternoon, the last three chapters of I Peter. For bedtime tonight, New Daddy read her most of the book of Ruth.

The wonderful thing about this new routine is, that I absorb the words better when I read aloud, and after I leave her to sleep, I'm able to think about what I just read. It has helped us both so much!

I've heard that Abraham Lincoln learned to read from a KJV Bible and Foxe's Book of Martyrs. English teachers generally agree that one fundamental aspect to being a good English student is a working knowledge and exposure to the KJV Bible. Why would folks settle for anything less?

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is a wonderful idea! It gives you a few minutes of relaxing, as well as reading your bible several times a day. Sounds great to me!
Anonymous said…
I too have recently discovered how well reading the KJV Bible to the kids helps to settle them down to sleep. Usually I can read 2 of them to sleep before my voice gives out. (One of them almost always manages to fight the urge to go to sleep but they fall asleep fairly easily after I have quit reading). In my opinion, you can never give a child (or any person) too much of the Word of God.
Anonymous said…
Shades of your mother. Do you remember those days when you were a tot and she did the same for you?
New Mommy said…
That's interesting! I didn't know that she used to read the Bible to us like that, but when I'm reading to Renee, I think I sound just like her!
Marie said…
Sharon, we used to have story time before nap time-- and very often, it was a bible story. I distinctly remember Mama reading the Bible to me when I couldn't yet read.

Also, it's shades of your Daddy-- because you and Ben are starting Bible reading.

God Bless!
New Mommy said…
I remember the Bible stories, just not her reading to me from the KJV. We got the same Bible story book for Renee that he and I both had growing up. Ben and I still remember the illustrations! Guess what Renee's favorite part is :).
Isaac'swife said…
that is a great idea - hitting two birds with one stone so to speak.
i usually sing childrens bible songs to the lil guy i babysit. esp when he is restless seems to put him to sleep