Adventures in coconut oil

About two and a half weeks ago, I traveled with Ruthi to visit another store that sells whole grains and healthy stuff to eat. I have the book Natural Cures by Kevin Trudeau, and on p. 453, he talks about coconut oil's nearly miraculous effects on cardiac, mental, emotional, and digestive health, and especially weight loss. (Comment or email me if you want me to send you the blurb.)

While we were at Whole Grains and More, I saw that they carried Tropical Traditions organic coconut oil and bought some. When we got home, we were thinking we could just take a tablespoon of the stuff. So, New Daddy eats a tablespoon of it, says, "hmmm," and so I'm thinking it's probably okay, even though it smells really acidic (kinda like vomit). I stuffed a whole tablespoon in my mouth. I immediately started gagging and spitting-- grabbed a paper towel and had to get rid of the stuff!

The adventure continued over the next week as we (well, New Daddy) tried it in a variety of things-- smoothies, milkshakes (all cold-- it clumped up). Then, New Daddy tried it in hot apple cider-- ding! That worked. And with that, we discovered that hot beverages are good companions to coconut oil. This morning, I just finished a cup of Yogi Mother to-be tea with about a teaspoon of coconut oil and a lot of honey. It was not too bad!

I've also been cooking with the stuff. I used butter, but now I grease baking pans and skillets with coconut oil. Aunt Mo emailed me the other day and told me that she made her bread with coconut oil, and it was so delicious she couldn't stop eating it! I guess that will be my next coconut oil venture.

Comments

Anonymous said…
arh coconut oil is great. :)
My mum eats it by the spoonful just straight. me it made me sick after eating it that way.
anyhow...........i do have a receipe that is unhealthy but absolutely delicous.

http://www.kellogg.com.au/Recipe/Recipes.asp?recipecopyid=2621

instead of copha (an aussie ingredient) use coconut oil.
New Mommy said…
Your mum is my hero, Becca! Thanks for the idea, Ruthi!